City of Allentown Parks & Recreation
Skip to nav
The Queen of the Court basketball program will be offered Tuesdays and Thursdays from April 27-May 20 at 6:00-7:30 pm in the South Mountain Middle School gym. This free four-week basketball fundamentals program is offered to girls in 5th through 8th grade that attend school in Allentown.
In its 11th year, Queen of the Court is an opportunity to learn the skills of basketball in a relaxed, fun and friendly environment and girls who have participated in the past have made significant improvements in their skill sets both in basketball as well as in the classroom.
The recent fall 2020 virtual program was a huge success with pre-recorded skills and drills workouts. The Department of Parks & Recreation hopes to gain more participants with the spring in-person sessions. The program will follow Pennsylvania Department of Health and CDC guidelines to make activities as safe and fun as possible for all participants.
Coach Brittni Kholi and her team of coaches use basketball to teach life skills, confidence, teamwork, and empowerment. Queen of the Court introduces the game of basketball to beginners and helps refine the efforts of more skilled players.
Coach Kholi was honored for her work by State Representatives Peter Schweyer and Mike Schlossberg on the program’s 10th anniversary in 2019.
The citation noted that “Throughout its history, the Queen of the Court basketball program has made inestimable contributions to the welfare of society through a sense of fellowship and through its programs, which are designed to enhance the quality of life for all. A dedicated leader, as well as a succession of volunteers and participants, has made this possible, keeping ever possible of the noble maxims of the organization.”
Location: South Mountain Middle School (Gymnasium)
709 W. Emmaus Ave.
Allentown, PA 18102
Date: April 27 through May 20
Tuesdays & Thursdays
- Face coverings/masks are required during practices.
It is recommended that each player bring their own water bottle.
Spectators are not permitted in the gym (Coaches, staff, and player only)
Reducing Risk of Disease Transmission for Coaches and Players
- Participants, please do not attend practice if you have been ill or have any signs of illness within 24 hours prior to practice (fever, cough, breathing difficulties/shortness of breath or other symptoms). Please do not attend practice if you are ill, have been ill, or if you have been in close contact with someone who is ill.
- Coaches and players must wear cloth face coverings or a mask while in Allentown School District facilities.
- Coaches and players must perform hand hygiene using soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- At a minimum, hand hygiene should be performed before and after practice.
Reducing Risk of Disease Transmission for Coaches and players:
- Every player must wear face covering/mask during practice.
- Coaches and students should cough or sneeze into a tissue or elbow, immediately disposed of soiled tissue and practice hand hygiene.
- Coaches and players should avoid touching their eyes, nose and mouth. Use hand hygiene when not able.
- Provide disinfectant wipes to disinfect high touch surfaces such as doorknobs, switches, handles, counters and other surfaces.
Spring 2021 QOTC at SMMS