City of Allentown Parks & Recreation
Skip to nav
2022 Summer Playground Program
This program is currently unavailable. Click here to view all of our current programs.
2022 SUMMER PLAYGROUND PROGRAM
The City of Allentown’s free eight-week summer playground program begins Monday, June 20. This year, a new online registration process is being offered.
The program includes playground activities and free lunch for children ages 7-to-15 from 1 to 3:30 p.m. on Mondays and from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays. There are currently 16 participating locations.
Daily participants will be eligible to win free prizes at the end of the season, including bicycles, scooters, skateboards, sporting equipment, arts and crafts supplies.
Those who participate will also be invited to an end of year ‘Romper Day Celebration’ on Monday, August 8 at 7 p.m. at J. Birney Crum Stadium.
The City’s summer playground program began in 1914 when General Harry C. Trexler and Mrs. Trexler sponsored an outing called “Romper Day.” The celebration is the culminating event of the summer and consists of various games, relay races, and dances.
Registration for the summer playground program can be done on-site but pre-registration is strongly recommended.
2022 ALLENTOWN SUMMER PLAYGROUND LOCATIONS
1. Midway Manor (Newcomer Academy) - Tacoma & Pennsylvania Streets
2. Muhlenberg Elementary - 21st & Washington Streets
3. Ritter Elementary - Plymouth & E. Washington Streets
4. Union Terrace Elementary - Union Street (West of 19th Streets)
1. Andre Reed (Irving) Park - E. Washington & Irving Streets
2. Bucky Boyle Park - Front & Gordon Streets. (10 Pump Place)
3. Ithaca Playlot - SW 30th St & Ithaca Street
4. Jordan Park - 6th & Sumner Ave.
5. Keck Park - S. Carlisle & E. Mosser Streets.
6. Roosevelt Park - Filmore St. - Between W. Saucon & Camp Streets.
7. Stevens Park - 630 N. 6th Street
8. Trout Creek West - 8th & Juniata Streets.
9. Walden Terrace Playlot - S. Carbon & S. Lumber St. (2366 S. Carbon St.)
OTHER PARTNERING PLAYGROUNDS
1. Alliance Hall/Central Elementary - 829 W. Turner St.
2. Greater Valley YMCA - 425 15th St.
3. Salvation Army - 144 N. 8th St.
**These sites have separate programs, registrations, dates/times, and costs. They all participate in field trips and Romper Day activities.